Skip to main content

Tool of the Week

There are soooooo many different "tools" in our arsenal as greeting card makers...and you all know, I love a good tool...(yes I said tool)...that I decided to get familiar with them...at least the ones I already own (hint, hint...no purchasing of new tools just to blog about them...exactly who am I kidding).


Stampin' Up! Item# 141714




Much better 2nd result...needs just a lighter touch
This blog is going to focus on the brayer.  Ok, let's get the "formal stuff" out of the way... Wikipedia says, a brayer is a hand-tool used historically in printing and printmaking to break up and "rub out" (spread) ink before it was "beaten" using inking balls or composition rollers. The word is derived from the verb to "bray", meaning "to break, pound, or grind small, as in a mortar".[1] A brayer consists of a short wooden cylinder with a handle fitted to one end; the other, flat end is used to rub the ink.[2] In the late nineteenth century the term was mis-applied in the United States to a small hand-roller, "used for spreading ink on the inking table, and for applying it to the distributing plates or rollers connected with presses".[3] Such small rollers were sold as "brayers" from at least 1912[4] and later in the century the term was applied in the U.S.A. to hand-rollers of all sorts and sizes. It retains its original meaning in Europe. 
1st try using the brayer...wasn't too happy with the results

Fast forward to modern day and we now have the foam rollers.  These all-purpose Roller Foam Brushes are perfect for a host of arts and crafts applications including painting, applying glues and varnishes, antiquing and more.  They work well when sponging an embossed image or making a background in card making. 

My first attempt I wasn't too happy with...although I could find a way to utilize this end result, but I totally loved my 2nd attempt.    Leave me a comment on your experience using the brayer.
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countryside Shapes - A Stamping With Friends Blog Hop

  Hello everyone, and welcome back! It's the third Saturday of the month...time for another Blog Hop!  Thank you for joining us for another Stamping with Friends Blog Hop!  If you are new to my blog, Stamping with Friends is a group of Stampin' Up!® demonstrators worldwide who share our love of card-making through monthly blog hops with various themes. If you are following the hop, you'll have just popped over  from  Mickey Moore - "2 Moore Stampers's " blog .  I hope you took a minute to leave a comment for her as I'm sure she'll appreciate it as much as I will. If you are starting the hop with me, thank you so much and I hope you enjoy what I and the other hoppers have prepared for you today! Our theme this month is all about shapes...circles, squares, rectangles, animal shapes...whatever that means to you.  I chose to use a hexagon shape for my quick and easy project.  I hope you enjoy this card and that you will try to make one or two for yourselve

So Very Merry - A Stamping With Friends Blog Hop

Hello everyone, and welcome back... and thank you for joining us for another Stamping with Friends Blog Hop!  If you are new to my blog, Stamping with Friends is a group of Stampin' Up!® demonstrators, from all over the world, who share our love of card-making through monthly blog hops with various themes. If you are following the hop, then you'll have just popped over  from  Kelly Taranto - "The Late Night Stamper's  blog .  I hope you took a minute to leave a comment for her as I'm sure she'll appreciate it as much as I will. If you are starting the hop with me, thank you so much and I hope you enjoy what I and the other hoppers have prepared for you today! On July 6, Stampin' Up! released the newest round of Online Exclusive products. What are Online Exclusives you may ask? These are a category of products you will not be able to find in any Stampin' Up! catalog...and let me tell you, sometimes, these products are snapped up within day...(wink, wink.

Timeless Charm - A Stampin' With Friends Blog Hop

Hello everyone, and welcome to July...the month of Independence Day, Bastille Day, and my birth month... and thank you for joining us!  If you are new to my blog, Stamping with Friends is a group of Stampin' Up! demonstrators from all over the world, who share our love of card-making through monthly blog hops with various themes. If you are following the hop, then you'll have just popped over  from  Diane Evans - Stampin with Diane's  blog .  I hope you took a minute to leave a comment for her as I'm sure she'll appreciate it as much as I will. If you are starting the hop with me, thank you so much and I hope you enjoy what I and the other hoppers have prepared for you today! Today, we are sharing projects that are all about colors.  Our projects must use colors from the 2023 - 2025 In Colors ™, the new Core Colors, or both.  These are the colors that I'm including in today's project. Pebbled Path Boho Blue Lemon